I got on the bus this morning with the intention of riding to Starbucks at Crown Center to gather my thoughts on recent medical visits for this blog entry. I forgot that they were setting up Crown Center for Boulevardia’s new venue for that event. So . . . here I am at Messenger. Of course that gave me an excuse to have an Ibis pastry with my coffee!
Wednesday, June 15, was my second post-op visit to the cardiologist. He was not very talkative, but seemed pleased with my progress. I think that this cardiologist is more of an introverted person and perhaps more introspective, as well. He is the polar opposite of my previous cardiologist, who was quite gregarious. At my last appointment with her, she greeted me with a hug as soon as the PA had collected all my vitals. Anyway, back to Wednesday’s visit . . . blood was drawn for labs. There was nothing concerning from the lab results as far as my heart is concerned. The cite of the incision continues to heal as it should.
Endocrinology had ordered some tests as well. Unfortunately, my A1c went up three tenths of a point, so I guess knee surgery is not in the near future for me . . . again. Part of the rise of my blood sugar level was due to the surgery. As with my first knee replacement, my blood sugar rose and stayed up for awhile. The diabetes team is changing my meds in effort to bring my A1c down, so hopefully it will be regulated soon. I will be doubling my Ozempic dosage and will possibly stop taking the Glimepiride.
While I am writing about orthopedics, my right ankle is a bit painful. My noticing of this started after I stopped taking the NSAIDS because of my elevated creatinine level. Some of my fingers are experiencing arthritic pain. The increased awareness of this is probably because I’m no longer taking the NSAIDS (shortened to anti-inflammatories) so I will soon be calling the orthopedist about my ankle and for a referral regarding my hands. The physical therapy practice finally received the prescription for PT for my knee. They called while I was in my PCP’s office yesterday. I will return that call today. The PT facility is about a half miles from my apartment, so I will walk there and get in some exercise a couple of days per week. This will be a partial fulfillment of exercise that cardiologist, weight management team, and diabetes team are happy about. Unfortunately, the physical therapist who worked on my first knee is on vacation right now, so I will begin therapy on July 1.
In the weight management department, I have started losing weight again. I’ve been averaging 1 to 1.5 pounds per week, so I am on the right track.
As I wrote earlier, I was at my PCP’s office yesterday. I had an annual physical and will spare you details about that. He was a bit concerned about the diabetes team removing one of my diabetes meds from my daily regimen so I will discuss that with the endocrinology PA. I mentioned earlier that I have stopped taking the anti-inflammatories. Instead I am taking Tylenol and Turmeric. After seeing the doctor, I discovered that I am taking too low a dose to be effective. Hopefully, all the arthritic pains that seem to be creeping up on me will decrease with the adjustment of the dosages.
So . . . if you are coming to this blog from the link on Facebook, this about sums up my geriatric adventures since my entries in May. I guess even if you are not coming here from the Facebook link, it’s still a summary of those adventures/misadventures. It appears that I will be spending at least as much time in doctors’ offices as I have been. It has become apparent that retirement is necessary in order for one to have enough time to sit in the doctors' offices as one's body deteriorates!
—
I would be remiss not to mention that when I went for my first post-op check-up after my defibrillator surgery, I saw my dear friend, Paul Ingold. He and Roger were waiting in a family practice clinic waiting. I did not see them, but Paul called out, “There’s David Alonzo.”
I was on my way to my own medical appointment, so I only stopped for a very short period of time to say hello and be on my way. I had no idea that Paul was very sick at the time. A few days later, I found out he had been admitted to the ICU. He’d been diagnosed with cancer and other complications.
Paul and I both went to William Jewell College and were in the same residential house our senior year.
When I moved back to Kansas City in 1999, I visited Broadway Church and when I turned around in that pew, I saw Paul from 23 years ago! He had just moved to Kansas City for very similar reasons that I had and I believe it was his first time to visit the church since he moved to KC. We both eventually became members of that church and our friendship deepened. About 15 years later, I joined a different church and our encounters decreased, although we did always see each other at an annual William Jewell Homecoming gathering at the home of our mutual friends Mark Morris and Carolyn Cupp. The last time was for a bon voyage party for another Jewell friend who was retiring to New England.
Sadly, Paul succumbed to his illness on June 10. I will definitely miss his smile and pithy humor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
YIKES!!!
Yesterday I received a letter in the mail from the University of Kansas Health Sciences System. I didn’t think too much about it until I ope...
-
Sorry to the folks who got teaser pictures from yesterday's visit to KUMC. I am not composing this post until Tuesday morning from the b...
-
Today is Tuesday, April 26, five days after the doctors inserted the subcutaneous implantable defibrillator and lead with defibrillation thr...
-
I got on the bus this morning with the intention of riding to Starbucks at Crown Center to gather my thoughts on recent medical visits for t...
No comments:
Post a Comment